In the start-up phase of CARe-FOR-US, five initial R&D topics/priorities have been identified. “Urban forests” refers here to the tree-dominated green spaces in and around cities and towns.
Moreover, several of the themes will deal with issues of urbanising forests and forestry on a broader scale, for example with regards how urban society affects rural landscapes and countryside issues, and with forest landscapes as living, multifunctional and recreational landscapes in focus. The CAR will integrate natural science with social science and humanistic approaches.
- Assessing the scope and qualities of Nordic & Baltic urban forests.
- Analysis and development of administrative, policy and legal framework for Nordic & Baltic urban forests.
- Stakeholder analysis and identification/development of public involvement and conflict management in Nordic & Baltic urban forestry.
- Analysis and development of the planning and design of Nordic & Baltic urban forests.
- Development of sound management approaches and methods for multifunctional urban forestry in the Nordic & Baltic countries.
During the first years of the existence of CARe-FOR-US, the following priority research areas were identified: urban forests and human health, and innovative approaches to woodland management.
An overview, and short descriptions, of all research projects within urban forestry recently completed and currently ongoing in the Nordic and Baltic countries can be found here.